This quick and easy vegan chocolate cake is extra fluffy and rich. It is a very easy and wonderful tasting vegan cake. It is an easy recipe to make vegan chocolate cake, that is, it does not contain any dairy or egg products, it is rich and full of chocolate. Perfect for any occasion worth their salt. I recommend using decaffeinated coffee so the vegan chocolate cake is also kid-friendly if you prefer. And caffeine for adults.
I am going to pass you some ideas that combine wonderfully with the chocolate flavor, but remember that you can do it 100% to your liking, adding what you want to the recipe that I give you below.
I like to combine chocolate biscuits with crushed hazelnuts or chopped walnuts, some chopped fruit such as banana, mango, peach, cherries, apple… you can also grate lemon and/or orange skin and add a little of its juice as well . Other ideas: add a vanilla-flavored soy yogurt or vanilla powder, carob powder… All this complements the flavor of the cocoa and will make your cake even richer.
If you do not dare to experiment, as I say, you can make the recipe as I explain it to you. The result is also good, I only recommend that you add the amount of sweetener that you like!
It tastes great on its own, without any topping at all. But if you want to spice up the cake, a very simple vegan chocolate sauce is also a great option. I make it with sugar, cocoa powder, water and a little coconut oil. The preparation method . I used it and, on top, I still added a little cocoa nibs.
WHAT IS THE SECRET TO A SUPER MOIST VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE?
A couple of things make this cake super moist. The applesauce helps (don’t worry, you can’t taste it). But the BIG secret is to add a cup of boiling hot water to the cake batter right before baking. It makes such a difference!
The batter will appear runny when you add it, but don’t worry, that is completely correct and exactly what it should be like. It results in the most moist, delicious chocolate cake I’ve ever tasted!
If you are craving a chocolate fix about now, or are new to being vegan and miss good tasting cake, give this recipe a try! It’s easy to make and hard to mess it up.
Tips for making vegan chocolate cake
- Cooking times will vary with the size of the pan used. Cupcakes should take about 25 minutes and 8″-9″ pans will cook the cake in about 30-35 minutes. Oven temperatures vary.
- When making this into cupcakes, an ice cream scoop with a trigger is perfect for scooping into muffin cups without having to scrape a spoon or fingers.
- To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake or cupcake and remove. When it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- This cake recipe is not gluten-free, but Minimalist Baker has a great GF Baking Guide that can help convert this cake.
- The frosting is already gluten-free.
- For those not doing sugar-free, an unrefined sugar can be substituted. Measurements are included in the recipe card below.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE THE BEST VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE?
chocolate cake does need what seems to be a lot of ingredients, it’s still an easy chocolate cake recipe. In order to make this cake without eggs and without dairy, you need a bit of creativity and chemistry. The end result is so perfect. For this cake you’ll need:
- Dairy Free Milk – Using milk instead of water adds more flavor into the recipe. We have tried this with both oat and almond and there’s not much of a difference honestly. Use either unsweetened plain or unsweetened vanilla flavored milk, but you don’t want any sweetened milk in this already sweet recipe.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Since there are no vegan buttermilks on the market, we use acid to mix with the dairy free milk to make a vegan buttermilk. Acid helps tenderize gluten and therefore making a softer cake.
- Flour – The star of the show, we only used all-purpose flour here because we wanted this recipe to be as accessible as possible for everyone.
- Vegan Cane Sugar – Sugar: Note that in some countries some sugar isn’t vegan as it is filtered with bone char . In the USA organic sugar is usually vegan though. In most other countries all sugar is vegan. Pretty much all of it is vegan in the UK. Check your labels.
- Cocoa Powder –Obviously needed to make a delicious chocolate cake. Unsweetened cocoa powder should be vegan.
- Oil – Oil helps the moisture in your cake but also helped by slowing down the formation of gluten that yields a very tender and fluffy cake – isn’t that what we all want! Use raw white sugar, which is the best sugar to use on a vegan diet. White or brown sugar can often be made using bone marrow, so use the purest forms.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- Dairy Free Milk – Any dairy free milk that you like can be used in this. The important thing is just not using a sweetened milk in this already sweet recipe. Lactose-free milk has almost the same taste and texture, and provides the same essential nutrients as regular milk.
- Acid – You can use white vinegar , You can use lemon juice instead. The reason for this is the reaction of vinegar with baking soda and the start of a chemical reaction to produce carbon dioxide gas, then this gas helps to increase the height of cakes and cupcakes during baking, and give them the perfect texture. Although vinegar has a sharp flavor, you will not be able to distinguish its taste in pastries and desserts.
- Flour – Cake flour could be swapped for all or half of the all-purpose flour. Also an all-purpose or 1:1 gluten free flour could be used.
- Vegan Cane Sugar – You could replace this with a coconut sugar or date sugar.
- Oil – Melted coconut oil could also be used here and it is normal for it to resolidify when mixing. It will melt back down again when baking. if you are trying to reduce your oil consumption. Alternatively, you could use applesauce (same amount).
DIFFERENT CAKE SIZES
1 inch = 2.54cm
1 cup = 240ml
- Three 6-inch round cake pans – bake for 25 minutes.
- Two 7-inch round cake pans – bake for 30 minutes.
- Two 8-inch round cake pans – bake for 25 minutes.
- One 9-inch round cake pan – bake for 35 minutes.
- 9×9 square cake pan – bake for 30 minutes.
- 9×13 sheet cake – bake for 20 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKECourse: Gateaux Recipes
This Simple Vegan Chocolate Cake is very easy to prepare. Made with common and affordable ingredients, it’s super cute and yummy. There’s no mistake! It’s a great snack or sweet option to serve to family and friends.
- To prepare the cake base,
1.25 teaspoon baking powder
1.25 cup powdered sugar
1.25 cup all-purpose flour
0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- To prepare chocolate ganache
1 cup hot coconut milk
1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
1.5 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
0.5 cup coconut oil
0.5 cup cocoa powder
- Preparing cake base
- In a large mixing bowl, add sifted all-purpose flour + baking powder + baking soda + cocoa powder + powdered sugar + salt. Mix well.
- To this mixture, add coconut oil + soy milk + vanilla extract. Mix & whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter to a parchment-lined cake mould and bake for 45minutes at 320 F.
- Preparing chocolate ganache
- combine hot coconut milk + dark chocolate chips. Mix until the chocolate melts and transfer to your fridge. Let it chill for 3 hours in the fridge.
- Once it’s chilled, whisk the ganache until it’s nicely aerated.
- Pour the ganache over the cake. Gently spread and cover the cake with the ganache. Vegan chocolate cake is ready.